Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Susie's Update


It has been a long week and a half for all of us, but I know it is especially hard for Rob. Although we each experience this cancer in our own way, for Rob it is something so big that we can only try to imagine and understand what it must feel like.

Each round of chemo is harder for him and round 5 is living up to its expectations and then some. Although Rob rarely complains or really talks about exactly how he feels, I know he is struggling with the side effects and feeling completely exhausted both emotionally and physically. Those of you that know Rob well, know he is a man of few words, but his actions speak for him. His movements through the house are much slower, he is sleeping more and tends to remain in bed most of each day with just short bursts of energy to play with the kids or moments around the table for a meal with us. I am sure this is partly because with a wife and two young boys in the house you are not able to rest much outside of the bedroom. The kids try to understand, but it is hard for them too. They see daddy and just want to run and play. I see Rob and just want to talk about everyday things (not cancer) or ask for his help with the kids or around the house. I continue to do what I can to make his recovery the best that it can be, but some days I feel like I just have nothing left to give or I just don't know what else to do. I guess maybe today is one of those days for me. As I type this, Sam is watching Spongebob and Thomas is throwing a fit in his bedroom. Rob is somehow resting through Thomas' tantrum and I am blogging, and cooking dinner ...2 options because I don't know which will sound good to Rob.

So, with each passing day I know things will improve for Rob. His strength will return and he will slowly begin to feel better. AND, as Rob says "just in time to do it all over again." We continue to pray for strength to get through this, grace to bear the cross that we carry and blessings upon Rob for his complete healing.

The next round of chemo will take place on January 19th. We pray that this will be the last round for him and that the cancer is gone. He will have additional PET and CT scans the first week of February and we will learn, at that time, the next steps for Rob.

Blessings and love to all of you. Thank you for your continued prayers for our family.

Susie

"They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles' wings, they will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint." Isaiah 40:31

1 comment:

  1. Oh Susie, My heart goes out to all of you. You are right, cancer not only affects the one that has it but the loved ones around them. Rob is fighting a hard fight but so are you and the strength that you have shown is amazing. We will continue not only to pray for Rob's healing but for you and the boys to be blessed with patience, understanding and strength. God is loving and he is with you every single second of the day. We love all of you very much.

    Jeff and Missi

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.